My foundations
These posts keep you all pretty up-to-date on my current condition. So I thought I’ll put a few pics of the people who shaped me so that I am prepared (in particular) for this long ordeal (which is far from ending – the medical team here call transplant "a marathon"). Of course, in different important ways, all also play a central role in helping me go through it all. Like most people, these foundations were built in two phases. As a youth, I was mainly formed (mainly) by my parents, Shoshana and Pinchas (who passed away), and my two brothers Meir and Oded. As an adult, I was (trans)formed (mainly) by Edna, my partner in everything in the past 40 years, and our kids Eyal, Einat and Yuval.
Now back to poetry.
- The first poem is by Rachel, who we already met (Bluwstein is her last name – as I mentioned, she is so famous she is called only by her first name). The song is called So often in summer (לא פעם בקיץ). Rachel’s Hebrew lyrics are here https://shironet.mako.co.il/artist?type=lyrics&lang=1&prfid=166&wrkid=1837 and my favorite performance of it is here https://youtu.be/sE8FYt823jk
So often in summer - Rachel
So often in summer, in warm sunset air,
Slowly as light was receding,
To you I was walking, then long standing there
was listening to your voice singing
"So small and so sparse is my room,
And to live here alone I am doomed.
So small and so sparse is my room,
And to live here alone I am doomed."
And lives deep inside me, that memory that glows
Where silence and tenderness joined
The sweetness of sorrow, your singing would know
The soul how to sooth and anoint
"So small and so sparse is my room,
And to live here alone I am doomed.
So small and so sparse is my room,
And to live here alone I am doomed."
I still do imagine, in warm sunset air
As to twilight blues I attune
That just like in old times, my ears pick up now
The very same innocent tune
"So small and so sparse is my room,
And to live here alone I am doomed.
So small and so sparse is my room,
And to live here alone I am doomed."
- We have met the second poet as well – Leah Goldberg. The song is called Can it be? (האמנם). The Hebrew lyrics are here https://shironet.mako.co.il/artist?type=lyrics&lang=1&prfid=572&wrkid=23140 and my favorite performance of it is here https://youtu.be/MqBu-lEPKWg
Can it be? - Leah Goldberg
Can it be? Can it be
That we’ll see days come soon
Full of grace and forgiveness
And you’ll walk in the field
Like a wanderer, innocent, free
And your feet, and your feet
Which are bare will caress
The smooth leaves of the clovers
Or be stung by the wheat
And this pain will be ever so sweet
Or the rain will catch up,
Congregation of drops which are thumping
On, your shoulders, your chest and your neck
Will refresh all around
And while walking the wet field the peace
Will expand, grow within you
Like light, at the rim of a cloud
And you’ll breath, and you’ll breath
In the fragrance of furrow
So fresh and so calming
You'll see sun light reflect
In the puddle, a mirror of ore
And so plain, and so plain
Are all things and alive
And it's okay to touch them
And it's okay to love,
And it's okay to love even more
You will walk in the field by yourself
Not being scorched by the blazes of the roads
Which fabric's still shivering from terror and blood
And with purity of heart you'll again
Be so modest, accepting
As a bend blade of grass, as a man formed of mud
You will walk in the field by yourself...





Hi Avi,
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing your wonderful translations with us!
Two thoughts I'd like to post, one regarding Leah Goldberg and one regarding...you.
About the Goldberg poem - to get the whole perspective it helps to know that it was written in February 1943, that puts it in a definite context.
About your foundations. Of course, your family is the number one, super duper, essential fundamental foundation. I wanted, however to mention a different connection - your belonging to the scientific community. I'm a huge patriot of science. (As I like to quote: "Science. It works, bitches.") For most of your life you've been a pillar of the scientific community, and given the world so much through your scientific work. It's quite the poetic justice that when you're at your most dire straits you receive the most state of the art treatment, a procedure cooked up from a mixture of wild and daring imagination, and deep scientific insights. If there's any justice in the world you're going to pass the transplant with flying colors. We're all holding our fingers for you, tomorrow, on day zero, and in the months after. May your new immune system flourish and live in harmony with the rest of your body :-)
All the best,
Ehud.